Logo of the Province of Middle Campidano


Skip navigation bar and go to contents

Vivere la campagna

San Gavino Monreale, the railway station

The new railway station of San Gavino

On 15th March, 1881, a solemn ceremony took place to inaugurate the railway line connecting Cagliari to Chilivani and, on the same day, the first train passed through San Gavino. The presence of the railway station played a significant role in the growth and development of the centre: indeed, the construction of the Foundry of San Gavino, in 1930, was closely linked to the presence of the railway, as it allowed to carry the processed minerals towards the main ports of shipment.