Skip navigation bar and go to contents
Art and culture
Monuments, churches, archaeological sites, medieval views and dwellings, ancient shrines and hermitages, music, costumes, traditional dances, sculptures, paintings, literature, folklore…everything is art and culture in the province of Middle Campidano. The whole Province is like a small world with many faces, expressing the thousand nuances of an ancient civilization with a strong identity. The endless charms of a timeless land compose a significant heritage of little and big treasures to find out and enjoy.
Arbus, mine and borough of Ingurtosu
Between 1880 and 1900 the hamlet of Ingurtosu, now almost uninhabited, was one of the most populated mining centres of the area. It rose in the second half of 1800, when a number of workmen’s small houses were built around the earlier mining sites and the ‘Maria Teresa’ shaft building, later used as a post office...
Arbus, tuna-fishing factory of Flumentorgiu
In the marine resort of Flumentorgiu, between the mouth of the streams Murtas and Schiamone, stands one of the most significant tuna-fishing factories of Sardinia. Built and activated around 1600, it was managed by different contractors. The insignia of the tuna-fishing station depicts a lion with a thick mane keeping a cross in its forelegs...
Gonnosfanadiga, mine of ‘Perda ‘e Pibera’
Built in the territory of Gonnosfanadiga in the first half of 1800, the mine was recognized as the major Sardinian ore of molybdenite, a most rare sulphur. During last century’s ‘30s, modern works and a few edifices were built, including the mine director’s residence and some houses meant for the workers...
Guspini-Arbus, mine and hamlet of Montevecchio
The history of the mine of Montevecchio dates back to an ancient past, as the ruins found in the locality of Sciria, near a cropping-out lode, even refer to the pre-Nuragic age. Despite of that, the earliest document confirming the mining activity in the area dates back to 1628. It consists of an edict concerning the concession of Sardinian mines...
San Gavino Monreale, the foundry
The foundry (San Gavino Monreale) was built during last century’s early Thirties. It was raised near the old private railway, built by the Montevecchio company in order to transport minerals to San Gavino and, from there, to the port of Cagliari...
San Gavino Monreale, the railway station
March, 1881, a solemn ceremony took place to inaugurate the railway line connecting Cagliari to Chilivani and, on the same day, the first train passed through San Gavino. The presence of the railway station played a significant role in the growth and development of the centre...
Villacidro, mine of ‘Canale Serci’
The mine of ‘Canale Serci’ has left a number of vestiges of edifices and structures: the works, miners’ houses and directorate building. This latter has been restructured and is now used to host the offices of the Forestry Authority of Sardinia...
Villacidro, the wash-house
At the heart of the village, the ancient quarter called Frontera de sa Mitza
hosts a wash-house of 1893, in Art Nouveau style, built for women to wash their laundry in a sheltered place. Consisting of more than thirty washing troughs in black trachyte of Serrenti, it is covered by an elegant and ample pavilion in iron and cast iron...