Logo of the Province of Middle Campidano


Skip navigation bar and go to contents

Vivere la campagna

Ussaramanna churches

The small rural church of San Lorenzo

Sited in the characteristic old centre, the shrine of Santa Maria del Carmine, built at the end of the 16th century, was deconsecrated in the 18th C. Subsequently, it hosted the ancient cereal bank and, eventually, it was used as a conference room. At present, on the occasion of Easter celebrations, it is used as a church again. Nearby is the parish church of San Quirico, rebuilt in early 1600 on a pre-existing edifice and enlarged in the following centuries. It has preserved a few precious pieces of marble furniture of 1700. Recently restored, the small rural church of San Lorenzo was raised in the 14th century. Located at about 1.5 km from the village, it is surrounded by blocks, brickwork and ceramics of Roman origin, an evidence of most ancient previous settlements. Its interiors formerly guarded two panels of a polyptych dating from the second quarter of the 16th century, portraying Saints Sebastiano and Rocco, ascribed to the Master of Oliena. Currently, the panels are kept at the National Picture Gallery of Cagliari.